People’s Choice Video Contest Application Requirements
All teams who submit a pre-proposal application to the 2016-2017 Big Ideas Contest are invited to submit a video for entry into the Big Ideas People’s Choice Contest in April 2017, regardless of if the team continues on to the final round!
In the People’s Choice Contest – separate from the written proposal contest — teams post a short video online, and the public votes on their favorite innovative solution to a pressing social problem. The video with the most votes at the end of the voting period will receive a $2,500 award!
To enter the contest, teams must submit their video between Monday, April 10th and Monday, April 17th, 2017 at 12PM PST. Public voting will be conducted through Facebook and will open on Monday, April 24th and close on Monday, May 1st, 2017 at 5PM PST. Using a Facebook account, individuals are limited to a single vote per video, however they may vote for more than one video. The winner of the People’s Choice Video contest will be announced at the Big Ideas Awards Celebration on May 3rd.
Please note that finalists in the written proposal contest are NOT required to submit a video, and choosing to submit or not submit a video will have no bearing on the outcomes of the written proposal contests.
- Each team that submitted a pre-proposal, regardless of whether they were selected as a finalist, is eligible to submit a People’s Choice Video (1 video per applicant/team.)
- Videos can be no longer than 120 seconds long.
- The maximum file size for video upload is 300MB.
- The contest platform will accept MOV, WMV, MP4, SWF and FLV format files.
- Video content must be the property of the finalist team.
- You must have written permission from all individuals identifiable in the video. If an individual in the video is under the age of majority in their state of residence, written permission must be from the individual’s parent or legal guardian.
- Video submissions must be uploaded between Monday, April 10th and Monday, April 17th, 2016 at 12PM PST. Videos may be uploaded using the “Apply Now” button atop this webpage (available on April 10th.)
Rights in Submission
By entering, each Entrant represents and warrants that his or her entry (and Sponsor’s and its designees’ use thereof) does not and will not defame or otherwise violate the rights of any third party and does not and will not violate any federal, state, or local laws or ordinances. Entrant further represents and warrants that he or she has secured the requisite consent from any third party referenced or appearing in their entries. To the extent that anyone under the age of 18 appears in a video, Entrant represents and warrants that the minor’s parents consented to the minor’s appearance in the video and the public display of the video. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entry that it believes violates any of the Video Submission Requirements, does not otherwise comply with these Official Rules, or that is not consistent with the spirit and theme of the Contest. Entrants will retain copyright in their work, but each Entrant grants to Big Ideas@Berkeley a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, assignable, royalty-free license to publish, reproduce, distribute, display, perform, create derivative works, transmit or disseminate the Works in all media or platforms whether now known or hereafter invented. Contest Sponsors and their designees shall have the perpetual, worldwide right to publish and use the entries in any way, and in any media for trade, advertising, promotional, and/or other purposes as Sponsors and/or its designees may determine without further consideration to Entrant or any third party.
There are numerous resources available to help you produce your own video. Here are just a few:
In the past, entrants to the video contest have used the following video tools:
- iMovie for Mac/iPad/iPhone
- Windows Live Moviemaker
- Android Vim Trim Pro