All of our Information Sessions and Workshops will be live streamed from this page. Most events are also hosted in-person at UC Berkeley’s B100 Blum Hall (Plaza Level) for students located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Please refer to the 2016-2017 Contest Timeline or the upcoming events list below for full information on each event. Dates and times are subject to change, so check this page for the latest event updates. Please note: All times are listed as Pacific Time.
Big Ideas Workshop: Making Sense of Sensors
Tue, February 7 | 5:00 – 7:00pm PT | B100 Blum Hall | UC Berkeley
Facilitator: David Jacobowitz, Technical Program Manager, LBNL
This workshop on sensors and systems design is intended for students interested in applying sensors, computers, and information technology to address social challenges around the world. In particular, this workshop will focus on designing applications and products that interact with the real world: collecting and leveraging physical data. No prior technical skills are required to attend this workshop.
Wednesday, Feb 1: Big Ideas Workshop: Autodesk Fusion 360
- 5:00 – 6:30pm PT | B100 Blum Hall | UC Berkeley
- Presenter: Jeff Lee, Program Manager, Education, Autodesk
- Want to visualize your ideas, design products, develop prototypes and models, and/or simulate how your innovations will perform in the real world? Learn to use Autdoesk’s computer-aided design (CAD) Fusion 360 software (free for students and educators!) to design and visualize a wide range of products — cars, furniture, bicycles, prosthetics, household items and much more. You will also learn about Fusion’s cloud-based benefits, as well as a brief overview of the various work spaces. All Big Ideas participants and UC Berkeley students are welcome to attend, no prior CAD or past experience with Fusion is necessary!
Sunday, Jan 22: 2017 Big Ideas Final Round Kickoff
Monday & Tuesday, Nov 14-15: Editing Blitz
- All Day | 100B & B100 Blum Hall or Skype | All Students
- Big Ideas Advisors will be available all day Monday and Tuesday to provide last minute feedback on proposals! Guarantee a spot by going to the calendar below and signing up for a slot (leave your phone or Skype information if the appointment is remote). Drop ins from here until the deadline are welcome, but not guaranteed due to the high demand for advising.
Tuesday, Nov 1: Pre-proposal Writing & Advising Workshop
- 5:00 – 8:00pm PT | B100 Blum Hall & Skype | All Students
- This 2nd workshop will solely consist of advising sessions with the Big Ideas team, allowing applicants to receive feedback on their proposals 2 weeks before the deadline. Watch the Oct 11 Writing Workshop presentation (end of this page) for pre-proposal best practices, then bring an outline, draft, or section of the pre-proposal for an advisor to review. Remote appointments available for non UC Berkeley students via Skype.
Tuesday, Oct 18: Innovators@Cal
- 6:00pm PT| Banatao Auditorium, Sutardja Dai Hall & B100 Blum Hall | Bay Area students, judges, mentors
- If you have an idea or startup, are looking to form or join a team, or are interested in the Berkeley entrepreneurship landscape, this event is for you! Innovators@Cal is an exciting event co-hosted by Big Ideas, the Global Social Venture Competition, and LAUNCH that fosters collaboration across the UC Berkeley campus for Cal entrepreneurs. It brings together students looking to form or join teams to support their innovative ideas for a night of pitches, team building, and inspirational speeches.
Wednesday, Oct 12: Online Info Session
Learn more about the goals, timeline, and categories open to students from across the 16 eligible campuses.
Tuesday, Oct 11: Pre-proposal Writing Workshop
Get guidance and feedback on how to effectively craft your Big Ideas pre-proposal. This first writing workshop will focus on best practices and challenges faced by students in developing their proposals, and cover previous examples of Big Ideas pre-proposals. After the workshop, Big Ideas staff will open the event to advising opportunities — feel free to bring any form of your proposal (outline/ draft/ initial research) for us to review!
Tuesday, Sep 27: Information Session
Learn more about the goals, categories, timeline and requirements of this year’s contest.
Wednesday, Sep 28: Hardware for Good Design Luncheon
- 12:00pm PT | Studio 310 Jacobs Hall | UC Berkeley Students
- Join us at the Jacobs Institute for Design as we kick off our Hardware for Good category & provide an overview of the resources available to support socially-focused hardware innovations.